A memorial plaque and the symbolic grave of Emánuel Aladár Korompay, a Hungarian-born victim of the massacre committed against Polish military officers by the Soviet secret police NKVD, was inaugurated in the Temple of Divine Providence and Pantheon in Warsaw on Saturday.
A holy mass was celebrated by Cardinal Kazimierz Nycz, the archbishop of Warsaw, in honor of Korompay, a linguist and the last Hungarian lector to work at Warsaw University prior to World War II, along with his Polish wife and their three daughters.
“Emánuel Korompay and his family serve as a symbol of patriotism, heroism, and Christian values,” the cardinal said in his homily. Concluding the ceremony, he blessed and placed a handful of soil taken from the site of the 1940 Kharkhiv massacre in a symbolic grave dedicated to Korompay.
The ceremony was attended by Orsolya Zsuzsanna Kovács, the Hungarian ambassador to Poland.
Born in Budapest in 1890, Korompay joined the Polish army in 1919 and fought for Poland’s independence. Later, he married Mieczyslawa Grabas, and became a citizen of Poland. He edited the first Polish-Hungarian dictionary while serving as a lector at Warsaw University. In 1939, Korompay was a reserve captain. In the spring of 1940, the Soviet army captured and executed him along with 3,740 other officers.
Korompay’s wife was a courier in the Polish underground Home Army, as was one of their daughters, Elzbieta. Both women were arrested by the Gestapo in 1943, Elzbieta died of torture at the age of 21. Mieczyslawa was deported to the Auschwitz death camp, where she died in 1944. His other daughter, Marta, died at the age of 19 while serving as a nurse during the 1939 siege of Warsaw.
Korompay’s third daughter, Ilona, who also served in the Polish Resistance, survived the war. Afterwards, she was a religion teacher, and died in Warsaw in 2010.
Featured photo illustration via Wikipedia/Goku122