Southern Hungary’s Csongrád County has been renamed Csongrád-Csanád County, effective June 4, the centenary of the Trianon Peace Treaty concluding the first world war.
The name change was approved by the Hungarian parliament back in 2017.
Csongrád-Csanád’s current borders were defined in 1950, including Csongrád, the south-western parts of Csanád, and some parts of the former Torontál County.
The county of 4,262 sqkm has a population of 399,000.
Featured photo by Tibor Rosta/MTI