Weekly newsletter

Nézőpont Institute: Ruling Parties More Popular than Opposition Combined

Hungary Today 2018.10.01.

The ruling Fidesz-Christian Democrat alliance is more popular than the opposition parties combined and would win more than 60 percent of Hungary’s European parliamentary seats if the elections were held this Sunday, a fresh poll by the Nézőpont Institute shows.

The poll commissioned by daily Magyar Idők found that Fidesz-KDNP would win 13 out of Hungary’s 21 seats in the EP, followed by conservative Jobbik with 4 seats. The Socialists and the Democratic Coalition would win a combined 3 seats, while green LMP would send 1 representative to the legislative body.

Fidesz currently has 12 delegates in the EP, Jobbik has 3, the Socialists and DK have 2 each and LMP and the now-defunct Együtt-Párbeszéd alliance have 1 each.

In the pro-government institute’s poll, the ruling parties were backed by 39 percent of the entire electorate. Fidesz-KDNP continue to have more supporters than the opposition parties combined, the pollster said. Support for Jobbik has stagnated at 10 percent. László Toroczkai’s Mi Hazánk (Our Homeland) Movement, a radical nationalist party that recently broke away from Jobbik, is supported by 1 percent of voters. This means Fidesz has about 3.2 million voters to Jobbik’s 800,000 and Mi Hazank’s 80,000. The Socialist-Parbeszed alliance captured 5 percent among the total sample, down from 6 percent. DK has also dropped to 5 percent, which gives both formations about 400,000 supporters, Nézőpont calculated.

Among decided voters, Fidesz-KDNP’s list would capture 52 percent of the vote in a general election held this Sunday. Jobbik would receive 18 percent, while the Socialist-Parbeszed alliance and DK would each be backed by 8 percent of voters.

For Fidesz, this result would be a slight improvement on its result in the April general election, while Jobbik and the Socialists would do worse this time around, the pollster noted. LMP, with 5 percent, would again scrape past the parliamentary threshold. The liberal Momentum movement and the satirical Kétfarkú Kutya Párt (Two-Tailed Dog Party), however, would both miss the threshold, with the former dropping from 4 to 3 percent and the latter gaining one point to 3 percent.

Nézőpont conducted the poll with a sample of 2,000 people between August 29 and September 18.

via MTI/Magyar Idők
featured photo by valasztas.hu

    [1536x1536] => Array
            [width] => 1536
            [height] => 1536
            [crop] => 

    [2048x2048] => Array
            [width] => 2048
            [height] => 2048
            [crop] =>