Weekly newsletter

Public Prosecutor: André Goodfriend Provided No Substantive Information

Tamás Székely 2014.12.15.

The US chargé d’affaires responded to a request for information made by Hungary’s Public Prosecutor on October 27 and “no substantive information was forthcoming”, the Prosecutor’s Office said. It was confirmed, however, that the case concerned visas in connection with the US entry ban of several Hungarian officials, the details of which remain confidential, it added. Prior to the US reply, a request for legal assistance was made to the US justice department in connection with an ongoing criminal case, the office said in a statement.

On 27th of October Péter Polt, the public prosecutor, wrote a letter to US Attorney General Eric Holder with a request for every available data concerning the case, and at the same time informed US chargé d’affaires Andre Goodfriend about the content of the letter. Goodfriend previously announced that the US had banned six Hungarian government officials from entering the United States.

The Hungarian police have been investigating a case concerning cooking oil producer Bunge since the end of October, the police’s communications department told. An investigation was ordered on October 21, after news portal index.hu published an article about the US-owned company present in Hungary, saying that companies close to the government had approached Bunge offering the company the possibility of a strategic agreement in exchange for “channelling back part of the funding provided under the agreement”. The portal on Friday said that the case related to Bunge was one of those that resulted in the US entry ban.

via hungarymatters.hu photo: Attila Kovács – MTI


Array
(
    [1536x1536] => Array
        (
            [width] => 1536
            [height] => 1536
            [crop] => 
        )

    [2048x2048] => Array
        (
            [width] => 2048
            [height] => 2048
            [crop] => 
        )

)