news letter Our mobile application

Weekly newsletter

Prosecutor’s Office Says Took All Measures to Prevent Győr Family Murders

MTI-Hungary Today 2019.12.20.

The public prosecutor’s office on Friday insisted that it had “used all legal means to prevent a chain of events” which recently led to the killing of two children in Győr, in western Hungary.

Last Sunday, a man recently released from prison on probation killed his 10-year-old son and 13-year-old stepdaughter before committing suicide. He had been sentenced to five years in prison in 2017 for attempting to kill his wife, leaving her in a critical state. The decision to release him in November had been upheld by a secondary court.

Family Drama Claims Three Lives

In its Friday statement, the prosecutor’s office said that the local prosecutor had proposed that the man should be deprived custody of the children, but a Szombathely appeals court disagreed.

The local chief prosecutor’s office also proposed in the secondary trial that the original sentence of five years should be increased, but that was rejected by the appeals court of Győr, the statement said.

The prosecutor’s office of Vas County then appealed for the man’s custody rights to be removed, which the Szombathely district court approved, but it allowed the man to see his children on regular basis.

The prosecutor’s office also appealed against the man’s release on probation, but the court turned the appeal down and upheld the primary decision.

Gov’t Mulling Law to Prevent Release of Murderers on Probation

Gergely Gulyás, the head of the Prime Minister’s Office, said on Thursday that both the secondary and primary courts had made serious mistakes when they decided on the release of the would-be killer.

Featured photo by police.hu