news letterOur mobile application

Weekly newsletter

Peace Restored At Serbian Border Station After Migrants’ “Brutal Attack” On Hungarian Police Yesterday

Ferenc Sullivan 2015.09.17.

Peace was restored at Horgoš (Hungarian: Horgos) on the Serbian side of Hungary’s southern border by the night and yesterday’s clashes between police protecting the country’s border and violent migrants were not followed by further incidents.

Late yesterday evening and in the early hours of the night, a smaller group of migrants briefly protested and shouted at the Röszke 1 border gate on the M5 motorway connecting the village of Röszke on the Hungarian side with Horgos in Serbia. At Röszke 2, the old border station where migrants broke through the gate on Wednesday, the attack on police was not repeated because Serbian authorities kept the migrants away from the border.

According to a field report published in Serbia’s Hungarian-language daily Magyar Szó, a migrant started shouting with Serbian police on Wednesday evening and threatened to set himself alight if not allowed to cross the border. Following the attack at Röszke 2, police presence was strengthened at the location by the Serbian minister of interior to prevent a similar incident from happening.

Commenting on yesterday’s violence at the border crossing station, Hungarian foreign minister Péter Szijjártó said that Hungarian police were exposed to a “brutal attack”, claiming that 14 policemen were injured as a result of the attack of “a group of aggressive immigrants. “It is natural that Hungarian police protected themselves and the country’s territory”, he said in reaction to international criticism. Speaking on CNN on Wednesday, German minister of defence Ursula von der Leyen labelled Hungarian authorities’ action against refugees and migrants on the Serbian border “unacceptable”, while Serbian Prime Minister Alexandar Vucic asked for the EU to intervene due to Hungary’s “brutal” and “un-European” treatment of migrants on the border.

photo: Tamás Sóki/MTI