Weekly newsletter

Paks Upgrade – Hungary’s Government Expects “Correction” From Financial Times

Tamás Székely 2015.03.18.

Unless Financial Times issues a correction of their article published last week on the extension of the Paks nuclear plant – which according to the Hungarian government is false and misleading – the Hungarian government will take legal measures, government spokesperson Zoltán Kovács told MTI on Tuesday. Referring to sources close to the government, news portal Hír24 has previously reported that according to their information, the government will sue Financial Times because of their article on blocking the Paks extension.

Referring to unnamed sources, Financial Times published an article last Thursday, in which they wrote that the European Union has blocked the implementation of the contract worth EUR 12 billion concluded with Russia on the extension of the Paks nuclear plant. Minister of state for government communication András Giró-Szász and spokesman Zoltán Kovács have denied this information the very same evening, adding that they will ask for a correction on the matter. Last Friday, the European Commission’s Spokesperson for Climate Action and Energy Anna-Kaisa Itkonen said that Brussels does not block the extension of the Paks nuclear plant, nor the construction, the European Commission has merely dealt with the contract regarding fuel supply.

Meanwhile government commissioner Attila Aszódi announced that public hearings would be held in 41 Hungarian municipalities in the next two months as part of the environmental licensing of the upgrade of Hungary’s Paks nuclear plant. Aszódi said that the impact analysis of the project, involving the construction of two new blocks, has been sent to 30 European countries, ten of which indicated that they would participate in the environmental procedure.

via kormany.hu, MTI, hir24.hu and hungarymatters.hu photo: Tibor Illyés – MTI