news letterOur mobile application

Weekly newsletter

Jobbik Calls on Govt to Release Details of EC ‘Fine’

MTI-Hungary Today 2019.11.21.

Opposition Jobbik lawmaker Dániel Z Kárpát on Thursday called on the government to specify the amount of a “fine imposed by the European Commission” for disputed use of European Union funding and reveal who had received those funds.

The total value of invoices rejected by Brussels linked to completed investment projects is estimated to be between 50 billion forints (EUR 150m) and 600-700 billion forints, Z Kárpát said, describing the amount as the “cost of corruption”.

Hungary could still access all the funding allocated by Brussels but as a result of the sanctions, the government will have to contribute more than planned from taxpayers’ money, he added.

Jobbik expects information on the final amount in question, which projects that the EC has rejected and the “beneficiaries” of the funding, he said.

Out of thirty European projects rejected by the EU, eight have been carried out in Hungary, he said, and demanded an explanation why Hungary had the highest number of projects suspected of fraud.

Previously, the Ministry for Information and Technology called the information an unfounded accusation, while the head of the PM’s Office implicitly admitted it, but at the same time called the numbers extremely exaggerated, emphasizing that Hungary is not losing a single cent of European Union funding.

Gov’t Reacts to EU Penalty: No Funding Loss

According to the economic news portal Portfolio, what is happening in reality, is that some of the EU development accounts that have already been carried out in the country are not accepted by the European Commission budget, and have to be managed from the budget.

In the featured photo: Dániel Z Kárpát of Jobbik. Photo by Tamás Kovács/MTI