Weekly newsletter

Hungarian Charged With Terrorism in Bolivia Acquitted

Fanni Kaszás 2020.02.10.

As we reported back in January, there was a massive turnaround in the case of Előd Tóásó, the Hungarian man charged with terrorism. Shortly after Arturo Murillo, the Interior Minister of the Interim Government admitted that the case launched against Tóásó and Mario Tadic was politically motivated, sought to bolster Evo Morales’ then ruling party and to damage the political opposition, the case of the Hungarian was closed.

According to information from Hungarian tabloid Bors, the last hearing of the so-called terrorist trial was held last week, in which Judge Sixto Fernandez said that all of the defendants had been acquitted, after the prosecution withdrew all charges related to terrorism. Tóásó told Bors that “in the future, additional procedures will be launched to determine who was responsible and on which level. Since the case has been closed and the charges against me have been dropped, I can expect compensation.”

On April 16, 2009, Bolivian police raided an alleged terrorist group in the Las Americas hotel in Santa Cruz, killing Hungarian-Bolivian Eduardo Rózsa-Flores, Transylvanian-Hungarian Árpád Magyarosi, and Irishman Michael Dwyer. The attack had only two survivors: Hungarian Előd Tóásó and Croatian-Bolivian Mario Tadic, who were then imprisoned.  The Bolivian authorities said the five foreigners were terrorists hired by opposition leaders of Santa Cruz to assassinate then president Evo Morales. The Prosecutor’s Office accused 39 people of separatism and other crimes, including several politicians and businessmen from Santa Cruz.

Massive Turnaround in Case of Hungarian Charged with Terrorism in Bolivia

Tóásó and Mario Tadic were sentenced to five years and ten months in prison as part of a plea bargain in February 2015 for “complicity in an armed uprising.” Since both men had been in custody for almost six years, their sentences have already been served. They were sent to a Bolivian prison with inhumane, degrading conditions. It was a penitentiary where prisoners also had firearms, and prison riots were weekly occurrences with questionable and fatal accidents. After his release from prison, Tóásó was able to flee the country with the help of the Hungarian Baptist Aid (HBAid).

featured photo: MTI/EPA/Martin Alipaz