Weekly newsletter

On Friday night, at Deák Ferenc Square in the party section of the 5th district popular with tourists, two groups of young people started fighting around half past four in the morning. An eighteen-year-old man stabbed two victims with a knife, both of whom lost their lives on the scene. One of them was 16 years old, the other 21 years old.

On Friday at Deák square, two, roughly ten-member groups of 16 to 23-year-old boys, some of them with criminal backgrounds, clashed at dawn. The suspect was celebrating his 18th birthday, and according to Bors.hu, the 16-year-old victim was celebrating his own birthday as well. The two groups started to quarrel over something, then the suspect pulled a knife.

After committing the crime, the perpetrators fled the scene. However, the Budapest Police identified and apprehended the three men within minutes, one of whom is suspected of killing the victims. He was arrested and interrogated as a suspect in a double homicide, while two of the members from his group were arrested for armed breach of peace in a group, and their arrest was also filed by the police. The 18-year-old suspect, Krisztián Cs., later testified in writing, while his two accomplices made factual confessions during interrogation.

photo: Zoltán Mihádák/MTI

According to the judge’s decision following the motion of the Budapest General Prosecutor’s Office, the arrest of the three men was ordered on Sunday for a month. The decision is final in the case of one of the man, suspected of ill-treatment of one victim, but not yet final in the case of the other two defendants, as they have the right to appeal.

According to the Prosecutor’s Office, the existential and personal circumstances of the suspects are unsettled: they do not have permanent, reported jobs, and two of them are drug users. The man suspected of murder was not present at his permanent registered address, and there are other ongoing criminal proceedings against him, while an arrest warrant was also issued against him. The housing conditions of the other two men are also uncertain, and an investigation was launched against them in 2019, when they caused injury to their landlord.

featured photo: Zoltán Mihádák/MTI