news letterOur mobile application

Weekly newsletter

Court Rejects Motion to Continue Proceedings against Politician-Lawyer Czeglédy

MTI-Hungary Today 2019.06.20.

A Szeged court on Thursday said it has rejected a motion by prosecutors to continue proceedings against Csaba Czeglédy, a former Democratic Coalition MEP candidate who has been investigated in connection with corruption.

Responding to a query by MTI, Szeged Court of Justice spokeswoman Erika Prágai Juhász said the prosecution has appealed the court’s decision.

A spokesman for the Csongrád County Chief Prosecutor’s Office told MTI that the prosecution believes Czeglédy’s immunity had only been a temporary obstacle to continuing the proceedings, and the case could continue now that Czeglédy was no longer a candidate.

Election Committee Faults Govt Official for Meddling in Czeglédy Case

The court, however, says that since the case against Czeglédy had not been suspended in a ruling, it could be restarted through the proper procedural process.

Ruling Parties Submit Bill to ‘Prevent Opposition from Helping Criminals’

A hearing had been under way in the Szeged Court of Justice in connection with suspected commercial crimes involving Czeglédy and associates, but in April the court suspended the proceedings because a candidate for membership of the European Parliament enjoys immunity from prosecution. The court asked the National Election Committee to suspend his immunity, but the committee decided to uphold it.

In the featured photo Csaba Czeglédy. Photo by Zoltán Balogh/MTI