Weekly newsletter

Coronavirus – PM Orbán: Restrictions to Stay in Place until January 11

MTI-Hungary Today 2020.12.07.

Hungary’s current, strict coronavirus-related restrictions will be kept in place until January 11, Prime Minister Viktor Orbán said on Monday, after a meeting of the central board coordinating efforts against the epidemic.

Orbán said on Facebook that a decision concerning restrictions on Christmas Eve would be made later.

The current curfew between 8pm and 5am will stay in place, Orbán said, adding that “we will decide about a possible exception for Christmas Eve on December 21, in view of the situation then.” He added, however, that December 31 would be no exception, with a ban on New Year’s Eve parties.

Winter Is Here - Experts Warn Gov't of Very Difficult Covid Weeks Ahead
Winter Is Here - Experts Warn Gov't of Very Difficult Covid Weeks Ahead

While epidemiologists, experts, virologists, and doctors have been warning both the government and the public for weeks now, that a ‘hard winter’ can be expected, if the increase in the number of coronavirus infections continues to rise in the country, the government has recently indicated that they are planning ‘special Christmas measures’ for the winter […]Continue reading

Orbán said the decision was made after consultation with epidemiologists and other experts who called for prolonging the restrictions.

Orbán said that a vaccine would be made available in the “foreseeable future”, adding that people wishing to be inoculated could start registering on Tuesday.

“We are working for Hungary to be among the first countries to get the vaccine,” he said.

The government is in talks with every player, without regard to political or corporate interests, he said. The only priority is to bring the vaccine to Hungarians as soon and as safely as possible, he said.

Regarding the testing of frontline workers which started two weeks ago, Orbán said Hungary had been among the countries carrying out the highest number of tests last week.

First Round of Targeted Mass Testing: Thousands of Essential Workers Test Positive
First Round of Targeted Mass Testing: Thousands of Essential Workers Test Positive

The government presented the results of the first round of mass testing at the daily press conference of the operative board. Although the board expected a higher participation rate as the participation was voluntary, but still a total of 181,506 people tested themselves last week. Out of this number, 2.44 percent, a total of 4,436 […]Continue reading

He again thanked doctors, nurses and teachers for their work and called on all citizens to adhere to epidemiological regulations.

Featured photo via Facebook