Weekly newsletter

Coronavirus: Restrictions to Stay in Place until March 15

MTI-Hungary Today 2021.02.25.

The government will maintain the current restrictions introduced due to the coronavirus pandemic until March 15, the head of the Prime Minister’s Office told a weekly press briefing on Thursday.

Gergely Gulyás said that the third wave of the pandemic had hit Hungary and indicators could “worsen even dramatically” in the next one or two weeks. “The next two weeks will be particularly difficult,” he added.

PM Orbán: Easing of Restrictions Not Yet within Reach
PM Orbán: Easing of Restrictions Not Yet within Reach

A decision to ease restrictions introduced to curb the coronavirus pandemic is not yet within reach, with the possible exception of the ban on visits to elderly care homes, Prime Minister Viktor Orbán said on Wednesday. Speaking after the second round of consultations with epidemiological experts in a three-day series, Orbán noted in a video […]Continue reading

There are a number of new variants of the virus in the country, spreading faster than earlier ones, Gulyás said, but added that the vaccines currently available ensured protection against each of them.

Gulyás said he hoped that the current lockdown was the last of its kind, in view of the mass inoculation of people now under way. He said that the vaccination process would be accelerated in the next two weeks, with “more people receiving the jabs than the total number inoculated so far”.

The restrictions could be eased in a couple of weeks, he said, adding that the government would make relevant decisions in consideration of the results of a National Consultation survey on the subject. He also said that the government would define authorisations attached to the vaccination certificates issued to people inoculated and those who have recovered from Covid-19.

Featured photo illustration by Zoltán Balogh/MTI