Contrary to Spanish and Hungarian press reports, a search for two Hungarian tourists who had gone missing on the island of Mallorca last week has been expanded, rather than suspended, a state secretary of the Hungarian foreign ministry said on Tuesday.
Spanish authorities who have been conducting an intensive search for the two Hungarians since Oct. 23 are now inspecting a larger area in the ocean with currents considered underneath, Tamás Menczer said on his Facebook page.
He confirmed that police have recovered a body, noting, however, that according to official information it was certain that it was not that of either of the missing Hungarians.
A local newspaper said last weekend that two Hungarian siblings, an 18-year-old man and a 30-year-old woman, had been reported missing from their hotel of the Cala d’Or resort on the south-east of the island.
The identities of the two have not been officially confirmed by the authorities.
The report came two days after witnesses saw that in stormy weather two people were swept into the sea by a huge wave.
Last Wednesday, there was torrential rain on the Balearic Islands and Catalonia. Two people died and six have been registered as missing.
Featured photo illustration via pixabay.com