Swimming icon Katinka Hosszú, the Hungarian hero of the FINA Budapest 2017 Aquatics Championships, has been named the eleventh best European athlete in 2017.
The voting was organized by Polish news agency PAP and published jointly by the network of the European News Agencies. Although the Hungarian Iron Lady could not replace last year’s success, when she sensationally earned the third place, she has still scored 34 points this year to become the most successful Hungarian athlete in 2017.
The best European athletes in 2017, according to the European news agencies:
- Cristiano Ronaldo (Portuguese, football) 159 points
- Lewis Hamilton (British, Formula-1) 143
- Roger Federer (Swiss, tennis) 124
- Rafael Nadal (Spanish, tennis) 113
- Sarah Sjöström (Swedish, swimming) 75
- Marcel Hirscher (Austrian, Alpine skiing) 68
- Laura Dahlmeier (German, Ski shooting) 51
- Mo Farah (British, Athletics) 51
- Chris Froome (British, Road cycling) 50
- Katerina Sztefanidi (Greek, Athletics) 41
- Hosszú Katinka (Hungarian, swimming) 34