As the 2018 Hungarian general elections approaches, US financier George Soros is ratcheting up his attacks against Hungary, Foreign Minister Péter Szijjártó said at a press conference on Thursday.
Commenting on the recent remarks by Soros, who has accused Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orbán of building a “mafia-state”, Szijjártó said that the Hungarian government is pursuing independent policies which fully represent the interests of the Hungarian people, and this will be the case as long as it remains in power. “Soros’s interests are the opposite of these interests and his plan has brought mass migration to Europe,” he added.
Referring to the government’s “National Consultation” public survey, Szijjártó said the government relied on the help of Hungarians. The more people participate in the survey and the broader its political support, the better the government can act in the interests of the country, he added.
Szijjártó said illegal migration was clearly a security issue, adding that 27 terrorist attacks in Europe had claimed 330 lives in the past few years. The minister said the extent to which Soros supported civil organisations backing migration and the “pomp” with which he is received in Brussels “should be looked into”. Hungary would not be safe today if Soros’s interests were fulfilled, he said.
“National consultation”: 1.7 million responded so far
Meanwhile, a Hungarian government official said that so far a record 1.7 million citizens have responded to the “National Consultation” public survey. Csaba Dömötör, a parliamentary state secretary working at the prime minister’s office, said on Facebook that “the real political struggle is just starting” in light of the European Parliament’s decision to adopt the plan to relocate migrants.
In a video message, Dömötör said there was “a good reason” for the record participation rate in the public survey which canvassed opinion on the “Soros Plan”, named after US billionaire George Soros, whom the Hungarian government accuses of being behind a plan to import migrants into Europe and distribute them among EU member states. This is because the plan to relocate migrants on a mandatory basis without an upper limit “is now being implemented”, he said.
via hungarymatters.hu and MTI